Monday, June 6, 2011

Woven Pin Board

A break from school obviously means time to do another Jones Design Company craft from the tutorial page. I have run in 5 half marathons and have very fun medals from each. I didn't know what to do with them, so until now they have been sitting on top of a book shelf in the office until inspiration struck. After seeing the woven pin board tutorial on Jones Design Company, I knew it would be perfect.
Materials:
*Cork Board
*Burlap (I STILL had some left over from the SAGE pillows even after making a pillow for a friend, and the wreaths!)
*Scissors
*push pins
*Staple gun and staples
*marker

Directions
*Cut two pieces of burlap to fit the cork board with extra inches on each side to wrap around
*Use a sharpie and a ruler to measure out equal widths (mine were 3"). Draw lines and cut the pieces (remember that one set needs to cover the board vertically and one set to cover the board horizontally)



*Staple the strips to the back of the board (one row to the vertical edge, one row to the horizontal edge)
*Lay the strips on the front of the board
*Weave one row at a time (I found it easier to weave the veritcal row as it was less strips) in a basket pattern all the way across (over and under)
*Pull the strips taut and pin on the back
*Straighten out and pull tight any pieces that need it and then staple the strips on the back



*Trim excess on back and frayed edges on front

*I hold the verses Hebrews 12:1-2 for all of my races "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that entangles us so easily. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." Now I know this is not in reference to a literal running race, but rather it is referencing the race of faith and the finish (line) of God's final judgement when all Christians will get to celebrate His reign.
That being said, I wanted to include this on my board, so I found these fun letter in the scrapbooking section and added just the words "run with perseverance" (I think the whole verse would have taken up the entire board)
*I added my medals with some super cuts pins and TA-DA! Its ready to hang!

No comments: