Lemon Pasta with Roasted Veggies & Sausage
- 1 lb pasta (I used penne)
- 2 large lemons, juiced
- zest from 1/2 of one large lemon
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped (I honestly used the parsley from my spice rack)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium zucchinis, cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 2 small heads broccoli, cut into florets (we had some frozen baby broccoli and it worked just fine)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves (mine ended up with more than 4 cups b/c when looking at the nutrition info, I noticed that it said 4 cups and failed to notice that it said 3 servings..mine probably had closer to 6-8ish cups by the time I realized my mistake...)
- Parmesan cheese, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine lemon juice, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, and parsley in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss broccoli florets, zucchini, and squash in 2 Tbsp olive oil and spread out on a large baking sheet.
- Season veggies with 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and 1 tsp dried thyme. Roast veggies for 20-25 minutes.
- While veggies are roasting, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a medium skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium high heat until onion starts to soften. Add garlic and continue to saute until onion is clear and sausage it cooked.
- Add fresh spinach leaves to sausage mixture, turn the heat down to low, and stir until spinach starts to wilt. Remove from heat.
- Drain pasta and, in a large bowl, combine pasta, sausage/spinach mixture, and roasted veggies.
- Pour lemon juice mixture over the pasta and toss to combine.
- Serve with fresh grated Parmesan cheese, crusty french bread, and extra lemon slices.