Sunday, August 18, 2013

Working

When I was still pregnant with Sadie, I made the decision to go back to work after having her.  I knew it would be difficult, but had not idea how difficult.

Teaching is my calling.  When I was a little girl, I would line up my stuffed animals and teach them who knows what.  I also stood up on the stage at a dance recital when I was little and started telling the other girls what to do...  So I guess bossy people are made to teach? : )  Seriously though, I've always wanted to be a teacher (aside from a small lapse of time when I wanted to be a lawyer).  I started teaching out of college and have loved it enough to want to get my masters that I spent my last 2 years completing to one day take on a different administrative role in education.  I love working with children, I love helping them learn new things and seeing the "lightbulb" go off when they get it and are proud of themselves.

And then my Sadiebug came.  And I love her more than I could have possibly imagined.  More than teaching, more than chocolate, more than running or diet coke.  A LOT.  

And then people started asking, "Are you going back to work?"  Which obviously, my answer was "yes" to the question.  What a mixed "yes" I am giving.  Yes, I am going back to my sweet students to love on them, teach them and try my best to share the love of Christ through my actions.  To be their stability, their consistency and to have someone to believe in them when no one else does.  But this means that my sweet baby girl will not be with me all day which kills me.  She will be loved by her teachers.

I've been told its not the quantity of time that you spend with your children, but the quality.  So although I am losing hours with her each day, my time with her will need to be more intentional.

Please pray for me tomorrow as I take my sweet baby girl to be cared for by others, as I lose time with her each day and as I adjust to being a working adult once again.  Please pray for the students who will come to school in one week, that they may have my full focus when I am with them.

No comments: