Red Beans & Rice with Sausage & Spice
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups smoked sausage, links halved lengthwise then sliced into 1/2 inch pieces (I used hot venison smoked sausage, but any type will work great)
- 5 (15oz) cans beans (I used 2 cans dark red kidney beans, 2 cans light red kidney beans, and 1 can pinto beans. Any mix will do.)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- While butter is melting, mix all of the seasonings together in a small bowl.
- Add everything but the beans to the saucepan and saute until vegetables are soft.
- Add beans and cook for 30 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Serve over cooked rice. Yields 6-8 servings.
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (or sour cream if you do not have buttermilk)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Once butter is melted, remove from heat and mix in sugar.
- Quickly whisk in eggs and beat until well blended.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and baking soda. Mix into pan.
- Sift together flour, cornmeal, and salt. Mix into pan.
- Pour batter into greased pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until barely golden around edges.