Sunday, July 24, 2011

Tilapia Stuffed with Spinach and Feta

On Monday, aka the day after we returned from the beach, I had been teaching a science camp and had not yet taken the time for my weekly grocery store trip, which meant creative thinking for dinner. I could not come up with something on my own, so I googled recipes+tilapia+spinach (ingredients that I did have at home). This little gem came up and even added feta to the mix (which I of course also had). It was super easy and had great flavor. I served it with zucchini and squash that had been tossed in olive oil and season all and grilled on the George Foreman (I have also heard that zucchini and squash is great to grill after tossing in Italian seasoning..I just didn't have any). I know it kind of looks like a wimpy meal, but it was super filling.



Tilapia Stuffed with Spinach and Feta

Ingredients
tilapia - fillets 4
salt 1 tsp
black pepper 1/2 tsp
olive oil 2 Tbsps
garlic clove 2 minced
spinach 6 cups washed well and stems removed
feta cheese 2 Tbsps
unsalted butter 2 Tbsps
toothpicks 8


Directions

  1. Salt and pepper the tilapia fillets and refrigerate for at least a 1/2 hour.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  3. Heat the olive oil in a sauté over medium heat.
  4. Add the minced garlic cloves and spinach. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until the spinach has wilted. Remove from the heat.
  5. Add the feta cheese and mix well.
  6. Place the tip of the tilapia fillet in front of you. Spoon a tablespoon of the spinach feta cheese filling on the tip. Roll away from you and secure with toothpicks. Repeat.
  7. Place the rolled tilapia fillets seam down in a baking dish. In the middle of the dish place the unsalted butter.
  8. Place in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes. Remove the toothpicks, drizzle with the melted butter, and serve.

No comments: