Saturday, December 8, 2012

Being a Pregnant Diabetic

I am an insulin dependent Diabetic.  Which means that my pancreas is basically worthless in terms of providing my body with insulin to counteract what I eat.  This happened around the time of my 13th birthday.  You can read more about my story here.
I always knew my pregnancy would be different from the norm, but was unsure of what exactly that means.  I have found out in the past few months.
1. Doctors..lots of doctors.  I have 3 that I see regularly:  my OB (once a month), my diabetes doctor (every 2-3 weeks) and a perinatal doctor (or a high risk OB).  I also send my blood sugars, food and insulin logs to my diabetes doctor every week.
2. Checking my blood sugar A LOT.  I check at least 9 times a day (before meals, an hour after, and before snacks..not to mention any time I feel that my blood sugar is "off")
3. A meal plan:  I have to have 3 meals a day with specific amounts of carbohydrates, protein and fat as well as three snacks between those meals.  Y'all, I am eating A LOT!  I also cannot have specific foods and specific times for the way that they affect my blood sugar (ex: no cereal and milk and breakfast)
4. For the first few months I also had additional stress.  I am a "high risk" pregnancy due to my diabetes.  I stressed myself out worrying about how baby was all the time.  After some advice from my doctor and an amazing HGA1C (blood glucose average over a 3month period of time), I am relaxing a bit. : )
5.  Ultra sounds: Now don't be jealous because we still have to pay for them, but I do get more ultra sounds than the average expectant mama just to make sure Baby is okay! Everything has been great so far! I love seeing Baby more often.  Score one for me!
6. No pregnancy glucose test:  Since I am a type 1 diabetic, I will not have gestational diabetes : )  Which means that I don't have to have the icky glucose testing.  Score 2 for me!
7. Running with the pump: Prior to September, my insulin pump has stayed at the house when I run.  That is no longer an acceptable practice,  it is now worn on me via a Spi-belt.
8.  Wearing a sensor all the time:  I was so lucky to get a blood sugar sensor that talks to my pump this fall and what great timing too! I now wear it all the time as well as my pump to keep a closer eye on my blood sugars.  I am having low blood sugars that I do not always feel and luckily it sets off an alarm, so that I know to treat them.

I am sure there will be so much more that I learn as we go along.  I am so thankful for the blessing of Baby growing safely in my stomach and all of the doctors who are making sure Baby is safe!

In Sunday school this past Sunday, our teacher brought up a few verses that really spoke to my heart The first reminded me of the blessing and responsibility God trusted me with in giving diabetes. 
John 9:1 As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”
“Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him."

The second reminded me of the care and love that God puts into creating each tiny human.
Psalm 139:13-14 For You formed my inward parts.  You wove me in my mother's womb.  I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;  Wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well.


No comments: