Thursday, December 6, 2012

Crockpot Tortilla Soup

Last week one day I had a long day, but wanted to make sure that I had cooked dinner and had something for Cody and I to come home to.  I found this recipe on Pinterest and thought it would be worth trying.
It turned out being great and I was able to put in a lot of veggies, making it healthier.
Ingredients
--3 cups of chicken broth (I had enough broth leftover from cooking the chicken)
--1 1/2 cups cooked chicken (I cooked a bunch of chicken over the weekend, so it was ready for the recipe and the Chicken and Spinach Bake)
--1/2 onion
--1 cup frozen roasted corn
--2 green onions
--28 oz can of tomatoes and juice
--1 cup chopped up vegetables that you have on hand (celery and carrots)
--4 cloves of garlic
--1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
--1/2 t cayenne pepper
--1 t cumin
--salt to taste

optional garnish:

--tortilla chips
--parmesan cheese
--sour cream
Directions
1. dice all veggies into fine chunks
2. dump everything into the crockpot (It's okay if you have frozen stuff.)
3. totally okay to assemble the night before. (Which I did since I have a tendency to run behind in the mornings)
4. cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 6 or so.

Before serving, add whatever garnish you choose.

No comments: