I came across this recipe on Pinterest (of course) and love the way they turned out.
Salted Pretzel Caramel Brownies
from Recipe Sweet
*I don't have any pictures as these were quickly devoured, but the original blog post from Recipe Sweet has step by step pictures if you are a visual learner : )
1 box Betty Crocker fudge brownies (for a 9×13 pan)
1/4 cup water
2/3 cup vegetable oil
3 cups pretzels (I used the stick kind, but can see where the loopy ones may lay flatter)
1 jar caramel sauce
coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, or grease with cooking spray.
- Prepare brownie batter according to package instructions.
- Pour about 1/3 of the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan. Spread until the bottom of the pan is evenly coated. Then add two even layers of pretzels, covering the entire surface. Carefully spoon the remaining brownie batter on top to cover the pretzels.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the brownies comes out clean. Remove and set on a cooling rack to cool.
- Spoon the caramel sauce onto the top of the brownies in an even layer. (If it is too thick, spoon the sauce into a small bowl first and microwave for 30 seconds to thin.) Sprinkle the caramel with a few pinches of sea salt.
- Serve warm, or let cool to room temperature then serve. (I kept them in the freezer when not serving as the caramel sauce never really seemed to completely set unless frozen).