Friday, December 9, 2011

Vegan Oat Bars

I bought some hungry bars from Emily a few weeks ago and they were amazing. I have not had a chance to order again, so I searched her website to find something to tie me over in the mean time. I found theses vegan oat bars. They have been a great quick breakfast which I have been in need of lately.

Soft & Chewy Raw Vegan Oat Bars


Ingredients:
  • 1 large ripe banana, mashed
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ*
  • 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
  • 1/2 cup dried fruit (I used dried cranberries)
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used roasted almonds)
  • 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (agave syrup will work also)
  • 1/2 cup nut butter (I used peanut butter)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt
*If you do not have wheat germ on hand, don't sweat it. Just replace the 1/2 cup wheat germ with 1/2 cup oats.

Directions:
  1. Mix the above ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
  2. Line a 8x8 baking dish or tupperware with plastic wrap or foil.
  3. Place the oat bar mixture in the pan and pat down evenly and firmly.
  4. Cover and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
  5. Remove pan from freezer and cut into 10 rectangular bars.
  6. Store in freezer for firm bars or refrigerator for soft bars.
After the bars firmed up, I wrapped each bar in plastic wrap and placed them back in the freezer.



No comments: