- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup wheat germ*
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup dried fruit (I used dried cranberries)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used roasted almonds)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (agave syrup will work also)
- 1/2 cup nut butter (I used peanut butter)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
*If you do not have wheat germ on hand, don't sweat it. Just replace the 1/2 cup wheat germ with 1/2 cup oats.
- Mix the above ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
- Line a 8x8 baking dish or tupperware with plastic wrap or foil.
- Place the oat bar mixture in the pan and pat down evenly and firmly.
- Cover and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove pan from freezer and cut into 10 rectangular bars.
- Store in freezer for firm bars or refrigerator for soft bars.
After the bars firmed up, I wrapped each bar in plastic wrap and placed them back in the freezer.