Sunday, August 15, 2010

DIY Headboard

So I've been talking about making a headboard for quite sometime now...and I finally made it! Let me show you the steps I followed first and then I'll share the amazing cost : )
Needed:
*piece of plywood (mine is 1/2 inch)
*Nufoam (or upholstery foam and batting)
*Muslin material large enough to cover the entire front of your plywood and a small part of the back
*Decorative material same size as the muslin
*Staple gun and staples
*Hot glue gun
Steps
1. Decide how big you want your headboard to be. I think I measured mine to 37" tall and 59" wide. Then have your husband cut the plywood to the right size.

And this is why I'm a good fit for kinder..I'm super cheesy...

2. Place foam onto plywood. I hot glued it to make sure that it didn't move later on in the process. Also, my foam was not quite as wide as the plywood, but I knew it wouldn't matter too much because the bottom part can't be seen.

3. Spread out muslin material on the ground and center plywood/foam face down on the material. Pull material taut and use the staple gun to secure the material to the back of the plywood.
4. Repeat the same steps with the decorative material. Spread out material on the ground and center plywood face down on the material. Pull material taut and use the staple gun to secure the material to the back of the plywood.


5. Cody added a little padding to the back to account for my poor stapling job (whoops) and to save our poor wall from the wrath of the headboard, he added picture brackets to the headboard and then those little things that they fit into on the wall and wahla (sp?)! So stinkin' excited!


Now for the cost : ) We already had the plywood, blue material (left over from curtains & pillows my mom had previously made for our bedroom), hot glue gun, staple gun. So I only had to buy the Nufoam and Muslin material from Joann's. On my way to the check out I found a 40 percent off coupon for one item, so my grand total for the head board was just $18.53!

No comments: