Thursday, August 26, 2010

Back to School!

Pencil Sugar Cookies

I saw these on another blog and decided they would be fun to make! If I did it again, I'd probably use the sugar cookie dough mix and follow the recipe for cut outs, but I really liked this sugar cookie recipe too.
The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies
From Allrecipes.com
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Directions:
1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight). I rolled out the dough fairly thick with flour. I wish I had a pencil shaped cookie cutter but as you can tell from the picture, I just used a knife to cut out the pencil shape.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely

I used the royal icing recipe from this earlier post
I think that doubling the icing recipe would have been plenty. I used food coloring to make a majority of the icing yellow, a small portion pink and then left the rest white.
On the tip of the pencil, I put a small drop of icing and then put a few mini chocolate chips on it.

No comments: