Sunday, July 28, 2013

Spaghetti

Mom and I made spaghetti sauce one day when I was in Longview.  We used the recipe from my friend, Holly.  It was so much fresher tasting than the typical Prego I buy.  I am thinking of making ahead and freezing it for the school year because we use sauce on everything from spaghetti to pizza, etc and it would be nice to have some fresher stuff on hand. 

Ingredients: 

4 lbs fresh tomatoes (peeled or unpeeled, I usually don't peel)
2 Medium onions, chopped. (I use white onions because it's a milder flavor)
1\4 to 1\2 green bell pepper
4 cloves of garlic, chopped.
1\4 cup fresh basil, chopped.
1\4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
4 sprigs fresh parsley
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
1\2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped. (about 2 sprigs)
1 tablespoon sugar

Instructions

Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add Garlic, bell pepper, onion, basil, salt, and red pepper.
Sautee until onion and bell pepper are tender (5 minutes or so). Add tomato, parsley, sugar, oregano, rosemary, and thyme. Heat to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 2 house. Stir often or until the sauce is as thick as you want it.

No comments: