Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Random Ramblings

*I have been home since about 4:30 and have just now switched the tv to HGTV. This is a big improvement from the norm : )
*I would spend every spare moment reading if it did not make me anti-social and way too involved in make-believe worlds.
*After running 5 miles today, I went and bought bacon and cheese (for the potato soup below)..haha..healthy, huh?
*I really want to help save the earth, but always remember my reusable shopping bags as I enter the grocery store (maybe they should live in my car!).
*The title of the last post was from the song Smile. I remember loving this song when I heard it in My Girl 2 way back in the day and have just recently been listening to the Glee remake of it (Charlie Chaplin song).
*I'm wanting to train for a 1/2 marathon.
*There is a man in my neighborhood that says "Well who's walking who" everytime that Ellie and I run past him (which is somehow a lot) and it drives me crazy... She is clearly on the leash and although she may be the stronger runner, I am at least directing her where to go.
*I miss Glee! April is a very long time to wait
*I've downloaded words with friends on my phone..I feel like I might become obsessed..this could be a mistake : )

I hope I'm not boring you with the recipes...here are a few more:
This one I found in Real Simple and we loved it! Cody has asked that this meal be made again.

Honey-Soy Glazed Salmon With Spinach and Peppers
Ingredients
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 3 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
* 1 skinless salmon fillet (1 1/4-pound piece), cut into 4 pieces
* kosher salt and black pepper
* 1 tablespoon canola oil
* 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
* 3 bunches spinach, thick stems removed (about 12 cups) (which seems like a lot, but you can just add it a little bit at a time and it "shrivels")
* 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Directions
1. Heat broiler. In a small bowl, combine the honey and 1 teaspoon of the soy sauce.
2. Place the salmon on a foil-lined broiler-proof baking sheet and season with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper. Broil for 5 minutes. Spoon the honey mixture over the salmon and broil until the salmon is opaque throughout, 2 to 5 minutes more.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and cook, tossing occasionally, until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes; stir in the ginger.
4. Add the spinach and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and cook, tossing, until just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of soy sauce. Serve with the salmon and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.

I also made roasted rosemary potatoes. Quarter red potatoes, place in a bowl with a little EVOO (love Rachel Ray) and some rosemary. Mix together and place potatoes in a greased pyrex dish. Cook in oven on 350/375.

One of my favorite things to make is chocolate chip cookies! YUM! I have always just used the Nestle recipe on the back on the chocolate chip package:
* 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
* 3/4 cup granulated sugar
* 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 large eggs
* 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
* 1 cup chopped nuts (I usually leave these out)
Directions
PREHEAT oven to 375° F (Our oven cooks hotter so we do 350)
COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
I sadly only had one cup of chocolate chips so I had to half the recipe (which is way harder than doubling a recipe). I have to be honest and tell you that halving the 3/4 c. of sugar was tough..i'm a little rusty on my division with fractions. The cookies are wonderful

But let's just be completely honest...this is really my favorite part (the cookie dough)

I've also tried a potato soup recipe that a friend gave me. It made very creamy, yummy soup and it was made in the crockpot (aka my new bestie):
Ingredients:
- 5 lbs. Russet Potatoes, washed but NOT peeled. Diced into 1/2 inch(inh) cubes
- 1 med. to lrg. yellow onion, diced
- 10 cloves of garlic, whole
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz. cream cheese (I used 8 oz. regular and 8oz. lowfat)
- 1 TBS. seasoned salt or all-purpose seasoning, and pepper to taste
Garnishes:
- Crumbled bacon
- shredded cheddar cheese
- green onion
Directions:
- Add potatoes, onion, garlic, seasoning, and chicken broth
- cook on high 6 hrs. or low 10 hrs.
- remove and puree the garlic cloves along with 1/2 to 1/3rd of the soup, and then reintroduce to the remainder in the crock pot
- stir in the cream cheese and allow to melt. Stir every 10-15 minutes or until soup is well blended.
- top with your choice of garnishes and serve

Happy Wednesday to all! I love 4 day weeks! : )


1 comment:

Mike and Cymbre said...

My sister is addicted to words with friends so be careful!! oh--and your salmon looks YUMMY!!