Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Please, Thank you

I help foster manners in my kindergarteners. We practice the appropriate ways to respond to adults saying ma'am, sir, please, thank you, excuse me, I'm sorry, ect. My parents taught me manners and I feel that I am pretty good at using them. I have noticed the past couple of days that other people, adult people, are not. A man let his dogs out yesterday in his front yard as Chloe and I were walking by and one of them attacked her. She wasn't hurt, but the entire situation was not okay. I didn't really say anything because I couldn't think of anything constructive to contribute to the situation once the older man got down to to agressive dog. He never apologized! I was shocked! Then today I was in the grocery store and arrived at the sea food counter at the same time as another woman. The man came to me first to ask what I wanted and I turned to the other lady and said "I think she might've been here first." She responded by rudely saying, "uh, yes I was." No "thank you" or "don't worry about it." In all honesty its not just these past few days that I have noticed this either. I think it would be a much happier, nicer world if we just all used the manners that our mommies and daddies or grandparents or teachers taught us!

On another ranting note : ) I was watching Good Morning America this morning and the author of Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert was on being interviewed. From what I understand from the interview and then the little bit that I've been able to find online. She married when she was 25, and went through a bitter divorce in her early 30s. She struggled with depression and went on a journey traveling, praying, and eventually found love again. Her book is even being turned into a movie. I've heard about her book and may even read it before the movie comes out, but the thing that I have a problem with is what she said today on GMA. When asked why she remarried and what she has learned about marriage, Elizabeth said that marriage is definitely not for the young, not a game for children. Cody and I got married when we were 23, so this struck a wrong chord with me. Maybe Elizabeth should not have gotten married when she was young, but really who knows enough about love and God's timing to put an appropriate age on when you get married. People get married when they are young and are happily married for the rest of their lives! A lot of the marriages in my family prove this! People get married when they are middle aged or even elderly and are happily married for the rest of their lives also. What works for one person cannot be generalized as the only thing that works for everyone else. (Rant over)

On a happier note, our puppies love each other. Cody and I were working on hanging a picture last night and peeked into our bedroom to see them asleep like this:

And on a food note, last night I made black bean and chicken burritos. Yumm!
Chicken and Black Bean Burritos Recipe
45 min | 20 min prep
SERVES 8
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 onion (Chopped)
* 2 garlic cloves (Minced)
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 4 chicken breasts (cubed)
* 1 jalapeno pepper (Seeded and minced)
* 1 sweet red pepper (Chopped)
* 19 ounces black beans (Drained and rinsed) (I did two cans 32 oz)
* 1 cup salsa
* 8 large whole wheat tortillas
* 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (Shredded)
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* I added cilantro

1. In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; fry onion, garlic, salt, and pepper until softened, about 3 minute.
2. Add chicken, jalapeno, red pepper, beans and salsa; cook, stirring, until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 10 minute
3. Let cool.
4. Spoon about 3/4 cup of the filling down centre of each tortilla; sprinkle each with 1/4 cup of the cheese. Fold in bottom edge, then sides; roll up.
5. Place, seam down, in greased 13x9 inch glass backing dish, sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
6. Back in 400 degree oven until golden and hot, and cheese is melted, about 15 minute
7. Serve with sour cream.
8. If baking from frozen, loosely cover dish with foil, and bake in a 400 degree oven until golden and hot, about 25-30 minute.
9. Enjoy.


Tonight's dinner is this Chicken and Rice casserole in my new crockpot. It was SO easy to prepare.
Chicken & Rice Casserole
1 can cream of celery soup
3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 tbsp. dry onion soup mix
1/2 c. long-grain rice, uncooked
Combine the soup and rice in a well greased Crockery Pot. Stir well. Put the chicken breasts on top of the rice mixture. Sprinkle the onion soup mix over the chicken breasts. Cover and cook on low 7 to 9 hours.
Serve hot.
*Note: The chicken and rice casserole had great flavor, but the chicken was a little dry. I will probably add 1/2 c. to 1 c. of chicken broth next time.


Tomorrow is back to school! I am so thankful for the 2 weeks and 2 days that I've had to relax, enjoy friends, family, clean the house, and refresh my attitude. I'm ready to see my kiddos to hear all about their breaks and watch them continue to grow this second semester!

3 comments:

beth said...

I am actually about to finish reading Eat, Pray, Love. I was given it by a friend from school and have enjoyed reading it on my break and travels.
The recipe sounds yummy! I am so impressed with you and your homemaking skills! :) xoxo

katie + bret said...

A) It's shocking how many people are NOT raised on manners these days. And it's sad. I STILL say yes sir to my daddy and if I don't, he will correct me!

B) I have that crockpot and all the food looks yummy!

C) I see a blue fiesta ware bowl! Those are our every day dishes. Love them :)

Sarah, Casey, & Riley said...

I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to people not using manners and being rude. To be honest though, I have noticed it more in the Houston area than back home in Longview - not to say that Longview doesn't have their fair share of rude people, it's just I guess that I notice that people are more in their "bubble" down here and more concerned with themselves than helping others or making other people's lives easier/better. Living in The Woodlands has definitely been trying because I have learned that often with wealth and affluency comes carelessness and selfishness. Wow - I guess that was my rant for the day! Hope you had a great first day back - I definitely did - my kids came back better than before Christmas break!