Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Food!

For all of you crazy chefs out there who are just dying for a few new recipes, I won't leave you hanging any longer : )
After having Rachel Ray's turkey tacos recommended to me, I looked online for the recipe. Instead of finding the recipe for the tacos, I found a great idea for taco "shells."


Ingredients
6 flour tortillas (8-inch)
Cooking spray
Directions
*Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
*Wrap the tortillas in a damp towel and microwave for 10-15 seconds. Spray each tortilla on both sides with cooking spray and gently push them into a jumbo muffin tin, forming a cup shape.
*Make a couple extras so you can choose the nicest ones out of the batch. Bake tortillas for about 10-12 minutes or until they are golden brown and hold their shape.

I later found out that the recipe I needed was in the Rachel Ray cookbook I already had : ) So I made these tacos and put them in those "shells." (I also use ground beef rather than ground turkey b/c the day that I went to the store I was feeling cheap and didn't feel like "splurging" on the turkey)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 package ground turkey breast
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning ( I didn’t have this, so I added a little taco seasoning)
Salt and pepper
3 garlic cloves chopped
1 medium onion chopped
¼ cup golden raisins, chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
½ cup beer or chicken stock
1 cup tomato sauce
2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese (I used cheddar b/c I had it)
Salsa, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Sour cream (taco toppings)
Directions
*Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the EVOO. Add the turkey and break up with a wooden spoon.
*Season the meat with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning.
*Add the garlic, onions and raisins to the meat, then season with the chili powder and cumin.
* Cook for 5 minutes, then sitr in the beer or stock and deglaze the pan.
*Stir in the tomato sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
And all I have to say is yum!

Last week I had two of my sweet friends over for these sliders, baked potato salad and lemonade. (Btw, you can buy slider buns now!)

Loaded Baked Potato Salad
8 potatoes, cubed (half peeled or half with skin)
2 tsp salt
6 slices bacon, diced & crisp cooked
6 green onions
2 C cheddar cheese, shredded
16 oz sour cream
¼ tsp pepper
1 C Miracle Whip
1. Cube and boil potatoes with salt
2. Drain
3. Crumble bacon and slice onions (including tops)
4. Combine sour cream, pepper, and Miracle Whip
5. Add to potatoes
6. Add bacon, onions, and cheese (reserve some of each for top)
7. Mix with potatoes
8. Pour into baking dish
9. Top with reserved cheese, onions, and bacon
10. Bake 350 for 10-15 minutes (until cheese melts)

And I love breakfast! So I finally tried my mom's coffee cake recipe. I would suggest that you pick a pan deep enough so that the brown sugar topping doesn't spill over to the bottom of your oven! It still tasted good, just lots to clean up : )
Coffee Cake
2cups Bisquick
2TBS sugar
2/3 C milk
1 egg
* Heat oven to 350
*Grease round pan 9 x 1 1/2"
*Mix ingredients except topping.(I usually add a scoop of brown sugar & a little cinnamon). Beat 30 second. Spread in pan. Sprinkle with topping.
*Streusel Topping
Mix 1/3C Bisquick baking mix, 1/3 C brown sugar, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon and 2 TBS margarine until crumbly.
*Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 18 to 22 min. Serve warm.

And last but not least, let me brag on my new addition to my mixer.
I got the Beater Blade a while back and it is amazing! It scrapes the bowl as it mixes so that everything get mixed in. It really does a great job of getting everything on the sides and is super easy to clean. Just make sure you match the exact beater blade you're getting the model number of your mixer or it won't work right.

Many more recipes to come! I just got my first Real Simple of my subscription today and I've already found a few things to try.

No comments: